Monday, July 19, 2010

Well, hello there!

Ok... considering the fact that I haven't written anything since... February? (wow...) You are all probably expecting an update... here is the [very] short version:

1- Mitch got his mission call the first week of March to Sapporo, Japan. He actually said a few days earlier that he felt like he was jinxing himself, but that if he could choose his own mission, he would go to Northern Japan... I guess it wasn't a jinx! He was like a little boy on Christmas morning:
Notice the dazed look? Yeah... he was in blissful disbelief.

2- Mitch left for the MTC (Missionary Training Center) on May 19th. Matt, Michelle and Callan were able to come down for the farewell!

The Oh-So-Handsome Missionary:

The Fabulous Family:


And the most delightfully, darling, chunk of a nephew around!:Mitchell is absolutely loving the MTC and is devouring the Japanese language. He's always had a thing for Japanese culture and language, though -- so we aren't surprised :)

3- School ended. I officially survived my first year of teaching! (With no parents yelling at me either... though I was assumed to be a HS/College aide more than once...) Once the year was over, I spent the next week cleaning out my classroom for the summer, sorting supplies, etc. It's a never-ending job! I miss my kiddies, but it's nice to have the summer off and still get the same paychecks! ;)

4- The week after cleaning and before starting #5, I got to see my dear friend, Camille, her hubby, Cody, and their darling boy Jaden! They were in town for a bit during their crazy 3-week road trip so we took a morning to enjoy a Smoochie Smoothie :) I also got to go to my friend, Greg's, cabin at Bear Lake.

5- I've been working EFY again. I worked three weeks straight, had last week and this week off then go back next week. I love it! I had forgotten how exhausting being a counselor is, though. All three of my groups have somehow worked out with more guys than girls. For anyone who has been to or done EFY, you know that this is unheard of... and yet this year is crazy common. I had it 3 weeks in a row! And 2 of those weeks it was two guy counselors with me! Craziness! (My girls have been loving it... ;) )

6- Last week I was actually somewhat social! (Ok... I have had a few other sporadic social events since summer started...) I went to a birthday party one night and a house party another night.


I also went out to lunch with some of the girls from High School and was pleasantly surprised when another of my best friends, Katie, walked in the door with her baby, Kyson! They're living in Texas, but randomly decided to drive up since her husband wasn't in school and she was still on maternity leave -- it pretty much made my day!

7- Today Alex (16 and 6'1") and Jackson (13 and 6'2") left for a 19-day trip. They are on the 100th anniversary Boy Scouts of America National Jamboree and I'm pretty sure that they were more excited than they were willing to display... they get to tour in NY, PA and DC as well as camp and go to Busch Gardens... I'd be excited! (I love roller coasters...) The rule at our house is that to go they have to be an Eagle Scout... all four of my brothers have gone on the Jamboree now. Isn't that awesome? :)

8- Tonight... I'm going to the Days of '47 Rodeo!

How was that for an update? Still breathing? Seeing straight? Good...

♥ you all! :)

4 comments:

Maddie said...

I love everything about this update! Alex and Jackson are going to have a FANTASTIC time touring around that part of the country. I'm so glad things are going well for you! Also, haha, I'm not going to lie, I am pretty excited for summers off with paychecks ;-)

audrey said...

YAY for the update!!! it has been way too long :). glad your summer is going well! love ya babe! keep the updates coming :)

Cody and Camille said...

LOVE the update (as I always love your updates)! Nice to see I made the #4:) You are one busy woman! Glad you are still breathing and seeing straight!;) We loved catching up with you during break. I will put pictures from our Smoochie Smoothie outing up soon (along with Jaden is his adorable firecracker outfit). Thanks! You're awesome!

Clark and Katie said...

Jess, it was great to see you too! I think your nephew is adorable and I can't believe that Mitch is on his mission!