Sunday, June 22, 2014

Cherry and Almond Sourdough Scones


I've started on a new adventure: baking with a sourdough starter. The thing with a starter is that you have to take care of it, which means using some and replacing it on a regular basis. I hate wasting anything in the kitchen, so when I went to "feed" my starter, I decided to use the excess instead of throwing it out. Yesterday my friend gave me a bunch of cherries from her (parent's) yard so I decided to combine the two and make scones...I've never made English scones before.

I looked around a bit at some scone recipes, but then completely did my own thing anyway. Here is what I came up with. They were/are delicious!

-Mix Together-
 2 c flour
Scant 1/2 c sugar
1 t baking powder
1/8 t baking soda
1/2 t salt (scant, if using salted butter)

-Cut In-
1/4 c unsalted butter (chilled)

-Add-
1 egg mixed with enough milk to equal 1/2 c
1 c starter

Mix all together then dump out on a floured surface and knead few times. Wrap in plastic and chill in the freezer for about five minutes. Roll out to a 12x12 square.

-Top With-
1 1/2 c cherries (pitted and halved)
Sliced almonds

Roll into a log, wrap with plastic, and chill another 5 minutes. Flatten log to be about 4x16. Cut into four squares, then cut each square into two triangles. Arrange on a cookie sheet.

-Top With-
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten with a tablespoon of water
Sprinkling of sugar

-Bake-
425°F 20-25 minutes

Enjoy!

No comments: