Thursday, June 25, 2009

Brownie is the royal dog of Belgium . . . and other things I learned in Europe

So while I was being a good girl in Europe and writing in my journal daily I started jotting down a list of funny little things I learned while I was there. For the most part, these are just random observations, but a few have stories behind them (ask what they are and I might tell you ;) ). I might add more to list later, but here's what I have for now. Enjoy!

  • Tube strikes in London are a lot harder to work around and deal with than Metro strikes in Paris.

  • The Netherlands are full of LARGE women. And by large, I mean tall.

  • When the light turns green in Geneva you should already be moving. You will be honked at.

  • You can't buy postcards -- or anything but McDonalds -- at night in Lichtenstein.

  • McDonalds restaurants are EVERYWHERE! They are officially taking over the world.

  • Utah's grid system ROCKS!

  • Germans eat a TON of food!

  • I can read every plaque and look at every item in a Museum before Mitch finishes a single room.

  • Munich thunderstorms are awesome -- even though they are missing the thunder echoing through the canyons that we have in Utah and the torrents of rain we had in Thailand.

  • Anne Frank's birthday is June 12. She would have been 80.

  • Hallstatt really is a great resting point between Salzburg and Vienna.

  • Good tomato soup is heavenly :).

  • Peter and Monique Bearts are awesome.

  • I ♥ Bad Mitterndorf.

  • Despite all the pictures, Mozart Balls are NOT green inside!

  • BILLA grocery stores have great sandwiches.

  • The countryside between Salzburg and Vienna is made for sledding.

  • I remember French better than I though I did.

  • I still know my way around the Metro.

  • I still prefer the Metro to the Tube!

  • Living in Paris for 3 months supposedly means that I know everything about Paris/France -- from the population size to the name and use of EVERY building!

  • When my mind starts shutting down, I can't decipher between French and English.

  • They tell you that admission to the gardens at the Palace of Versailles are free -- what they don't tell you is that from April 1 - Oct 31 admission is 8 Euros/per person on Sundays.

  • I found a really really good incentive to stay in shape.

  • I'm "addicted" to the gym.

  • If they reprint your boarding passes at the gate, prepare yourself for trouble.

  • My dad has the best truths for "2 Truths and a Lie" EVER.

  • My family is full of loud sleepers. Luckily, I'm not one of them.

  • I've got a whole new list of reasons to get married!

3 comments:

beth said...

Jess! I found your blog! Well, facebook told me :) And it sounds like you're having an awesome time in Europe!

Erin said...

Let me guess-
Does your reason to stay in shape and reason to get married go together?

Jessica Leigh said...

Hi Beth! :)

Haha . . . LIST, Erin, LIST . . . but yes, one of the reasons to get married goes with the reason for staying in shape . . .